How can we make bandit roleplay enjoyable for everyone?

Engage in any OOC discussion related to Desolation Roleplay!

Moderator: Moderation Access

ViolentViolet
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Good question.

When I see a bandit, I want to run away or shoot if I can't, and they approach me.
There it is established masked bandits roam the wasteland, so I have reason to flee from anyone who needs to hide their identity for possible nefarious causes.
Being masked for me is enough reason to fear my life and take action.
Because if I let them speak to me, they get to distract me and trick me. And I'd have to adhere to it since I was stupid enough to fall for it.

If the bandit do not want me to get away, they get to shoot.
If I don't want them near me I will shoot, without talking to masked people first. (But this is probably killing without reason)

If being evil is enough reason to rob or harm people.
Then it follows that portraying yourself as evil is enough to be treated as an imminent risk at all times. (Which I fear may be seen as an invalid RP reason)

If the rules were to change a little, let's say bandits are only allowed to take what an average player loots in 12 hours, since you get to be robbed 12 hours.
If I don't have to fear giant losses, I won't have so many hang-ups about it and be much more relaxed.

Since we don't have a gate I don't like to go to our base often and not stay there, so as not to give it away.
Since I have to go there often to restock or drop stock since I can't carry a lot with me since a robber might take it all.
Yet the inventory system is so unfriendly I often stand there long trying to get the right amounts in and out, all the time I can' look around to see if someone is coming.

Basically, if multiple hours of effort can be taken away in a 10-minute RP, that seems annoying to me.
And having to constantly go back and forth to get vehicles and supplies and then wait off base in random places, is just hampering my ability to be ready for rescue calls. Keep in mind we also got to constantly scour the corners of the map to find a boat, which already eats a lot of time.

The current rules are fair, and losing your whole inventory, is good for a server that has PD, SD & FBI. They are balanced to that.
Now in a lawless situation, the bandits have a huge advantage, but still the same rules apply.

They only have to avoid Scarville. They get to shoot people that run away, and people who don't run will get robbed or kidnapped and enslaved.

It could balance things out if you started that bandit town.
That way bandits would become just as easy targets as the "legal" players, having a place to get back at them or call them to justice.
The JTF could disrupt its operations if they make it too bold. Or ransack their base to recover giant losses.
The army of the good could hang around it and terrorize them just like they do to Scarville residents, that would be equal footing.

It is about leveling the playing field.
Have the loss be proportional to the amount of RP done. Or make the bandits less illusive, so it is easier to get back at them.
Right now it seems the only way to not get killed for fleeing, or robbed and enslaved for complying, is to outnumber the bandits.

Right now bandits just feel very untouchable, and I kind of am living like a bandit, to have that same illusiveness. Not in one place, not staying at home, not going to common locations often, just to be able to respond to an emergency call when it comes in.
contingency
Registered for: 1 year 7 months
Characters: Karl_Schneider

In my opinion, I think that every roleplay issue would be solved by simply not having a play-to-win mentality - you're after all playing a game, you shouldn't tryhard items and keep them all on you or poorly manage your inventory and then complain when you get robbed.. I mean, if you'd compare it to real life, you can get jumped in no time if you put your foot on the wrong pavement or way.
//Meanwhile//, it's your full responsibility that you got looted or robbed by a bandit - since you shouldn't stop for anyone that you think is sketchy, only trust yourself or maybe your friends if you're ready to make a blind dive. And if the bandit is alone, you can literally asspull a freakin' desert eagle (the gun that deals the most damage per shot in the entire game) on him and 3-shot him in no time. You just gotta find a way around it and actually think before pulling /smart/ moves, mostly the people that complain are the ones that chose poorly planned interactions and ended up with their stuff robbed which might lead them to think that "bandit roleplay is overpowered".
As the comment above me said that inventory is unfriendly - you really just gotta plan it properly, don't just focus all your storage in one place so if you get caught you're gonna get down bad but actually improvise and use your brain.
From what I think, the bandit roleplay is enjoyable for everyone except play-to-win mindset players - meanwhile, the inventory system and robbery rules are fine. Bandits can be countered if you can use a gun /PROPERLY/ in this game.
Both the scariest arab & pilot around.
Take no prisoners, nothing to be left but shock.
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm I mean, if you'd compare it to real life, you can get jumped in no time if you put your foot on the wrong pavement or way.
In real life, I can lock the door to my private place where I keep my storage, so I can switch objects around without having to watch for robbers like a hawk.
In real life, I can just take 3 objects. Don't have to do mental gymnastics to take 3 from a stack.
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm //Meanwhile//, it's your full responsibility that you got looted or robbed by a bandit - since you shouldn't stop for anyone that you think is sketchy, only trust yourself or maybe your friends if you're ready to make a blind dive. And if the bandit is alone, you can literally asspull a freakin' desert eagle (the gun that deals the most damage per shot in the entire game) on him and 3-shot him in no time. You just gotta find a way around it and actually think before pulling /smart/ moves, mostly the people that complain are the ones that chose poorly planned interactions and ended up with their stuff robbed which might lead them to think that "bandit roleplay is overpowered".
KOS it is then if the rules permit that.
I don't plan to get robbed, robbers plan to rob.
I plan to fire upon anyone with a mask that does not keep clear. (If allowed, if not allowed, overpowered indeed)
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm As the comment above me said that inventory is unfriendly - you really just gotta plan it properly, don't just focus all your storage in one place so if you get caught you're gonna get down bad but actually improvise and use your brain.
Using my brain eh? Like that time the bandits tried to murder me and the admin agreed I survived it by using my brain?
Or using my brain like having escape plans ready, and thus I have never been even been close to getting caught on my base?

What I am saying it is seriously hampering progress. If that is a realistic risk, then I also have a realistic reason to set up a taskforce to end this plague once and for all. (Not that I would, but someone could)
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm From what I think, the bandit roleplay is enjoyable for everyone except play-to-win mindset players - meanwhile, the inventory system and robbery rules are fine.
From the other side it looks like the bandits have the play-to-win mentality.
I don't take what I want from others, thereby improving gains tremendously. I earn it myself without causing others unproportionate grief.

You know me from GTAC, and there I have never won a physical fight, or escaped a robbery.
There was even a time when your bandit partner stepped forward at me aggressively and I RP-ed tripping over a ledge behind me due to the impressiveness.
I don't think your bandit partner would ever do that, I remember a case where he ignored RP from bystanders to be able to continue a fight.

Most people know I am always fine with not coming out on top, as long as it does not grief efforts to an unreasonable extent.
Where I also take into consideration the quality and amount of RP vs the amount of loss encurred.
10 minutes or sometimes even 5 of RP, to lose factors of the magnitude of that time in progress, sounds totally not play-to-win at all....
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm Bandits can be countered if you can use a gun /PROPERLY/ in this game.
Sound like you have no issue if I KOS you for wearing a mask near me then?
contingency

ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:58 pm
I mean, if you'd compare it to real life, you can get jumped in no time if you put your foot on the wrong pavement or way.

In real life, I can lock the door to my private place where I keep my storage, so I can switch objects around without having to watch for robbers like a hawk.
In real life, I can just take 3 objects. Don't have to do mental gymnastics to take 3 from a stack.
Then why don't I stay on the watch for people that are gonna backstab me? Because my base of operations is literally unnoticeable and only two people know about it and is not somewhere people might wanna explore such as a custom mapping.
ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:58 pm KOS it is then if the rules permit that.
I don't plan to get robbed, robbers plan to rob.
I plan to fire upon anyone with a mask that does not keep clear. (If allowed, if not allowed, overpowered indeed)
If you see someone RPing a gun being pulled out or says "Hands in the air" or something similar you're free to book him a ticket to hell without RPing pulling out the pistol/micro-SMG.
ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:58 pm Sound like you have no issue if I KOS you for wearing a mask near me then?
I mean, you're allowed to aim your gun at someone's head and tell him to leave the area if he got his gun unhostlered and stuff, if he refuses then shoot him. But if you're talking about /me/, then yeah - good luck with the KOS.
Ces
Characters: Cedro_Leon

there isn't really a way to make bandit roleplay more immersive and enjoyable, you're supposed to be some evil dude that just robs and kills people and possibly just attack / war another group or faction, bandits don't have anything new to do that normal players can't do besides robbing, killing and portraying villain characters, we don't have any irl rule to follow on it because we clearly never had a zombie apocalypse with bandits roaming irl so roleplay is very limited because there isn't a clue on what you can do and should do on a regular that a normal good character can't aside from robbing and killing sprees, it's boring and bandits are primarily meant for players with experience in shooting and deathmatching from 3rd party experiences, with the casual apocalyptic roleplay with it, it's basic and simple and unless a loremaster figures something out for bandits its gonna stay the same
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 9:22 pm Then why don't I stay on the watch for people that are gonna backstab me? Because my base of operations is literally unnoticeable and only two people know about it and is not somewhere people might wanna explore such as a custom mapping.
Which is a fair benefit of being a bandit.
I just got to move again or hope my faction gets a gate and it won't be an issue.
Imagine the JTF location without a gated wall or NPC guards :)
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 9:22 pm If you see someone RPing a gun being pulled out or says "Hands in the air" or something similar you're free to book him a ticket to hell without RPing pulling out the pistol/micro-SMG.
This is exactly what happened to me on two different occasions with bandits. Pull their weapon from their back and aim it at me without RP.
And once by a guy I am unsure if he is affiliated or not. So I count 2 or 3 non-rp unholstering in about 2 weeks from the robber's side.
See why I feel like the bandit side is play-2-win?
We could measure play-2-win-yness, how about we both post the amount of player kills we have in our stats and compare?
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 9:22 pm I mean, you're allowed to aim your gun at someone's head and tell him to leave the area if he got his gun unholstered and stuff, if he refuses then shoot him. But if you're talking about /me/, then yeah - good luck with the KOS.
I'm talking about you and me for the example, but it should apply to anyone really.
I can be a slow typer. What do I do if I get shot while typing?
I have to stop aiming to tell them to get away, at which point I am not defending myself and can be shot at.
I'd rather fire a warning shot, actions speak louder than words, and non-verbal communication in for of a warning shot is internationally known and accepted as a legitimate option.

Another question. I don't use keybinds as I think it's boring and repetitive and gives an unfair advantage over people who actually type and want to RP creatively.
Think it is fair to RP unholstering weapons using automation/keybinds?
contingency

ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 9:46 pm
Which is a fair benefit of being a bandit.
I just got to move again or hope my faction gets a gate and it won't be an issue.
Imagine the JTF location without a gated wall or NPC guards :)
I am not a bandit by the way.
ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 9:46 pm This is exactly what happened to me on two different occasions with bandits. Pull their weapon from their back and aim it at me without RP.
And once by a guy I am unsure if he is affiliated or not. So I count 2 or 3 non-rp unholstering in about 2 weeks from the robber's side.
See why I feel like the bandit side is play-2-win?
We could measure play-2-win-yness, how about we both post the amount of player kills we have in our stats and compare?
Sure thing, post your killcount and I'll reply to it with mine.
ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 9:46 pm I'm talking about you and me for the example, but it should apply to anyone really.
I can be a slow typer. What do I do if I get shot while typing?
I have to stop aiming to tell them to get away, at which point I am not defending myself and can be shot at.
I'd rather fire a warning shot, actions speak louder than words, and non-verbal communication in for of a warning shot is internationally known and accepted as a legitimate option.
As far as I know, they are only allowed to shoot after giving you time to type (15-20 seconds maximum.)
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:24 pm I am not a bandit by the way.
Oh, I guilted you by asociation.
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:24 pm Sure thing, post your killcount and I'll reply to it with mine.
Am travveling right now. From memory I say it is 1 or maybe 2.
Will post when I get back home.
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:24 pm As far as I know, they are only allowed to shoot after giving you time to type (15-20 seconds maximum.)
I got typekilled by someone recently, send them a PM about it, and got told "Tough luck" .
Also I can not find this in the rules. Don't think that is official.

When I hit about 15 seconds I should just send the message wheather I am done typing or not?
Then I get another 15 seconds to finish typing the message or should I then start to DM?
contingency

ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:34 pm Oh, I guilted you by asociation.
All G.
ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:34 pm Am travveling right now. From memory I say it is 1 or maybe 2.
Will post when I get back home.
ViolentViolet wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:34 pm When I hit about 15 seconds I should just send the message whether I am done typing or not?
Then I get another 15 seconds to finish typing the message or should I then start to DM?
You get 15-20 seconds to type whatever you are gonna type, whether a /me to pull out an Assault Rifle or a /me puts her hands in the air.
If someone shoots you earlier, blame him - not the rules. Since it's really about common sense here not rules..
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:41 pm You get 15-20 seconds to type whatever you are gonna type, whether a /me to pull out an Assault Rifle or a /me puts her hands in the air.
If someone shoots you earlier, blame him - not the rules. Since it's really about common sense here not rules..
I can't really blame them, since it is not a rule. I tried to applea to their common sense, but got told it's my problem.
I guess you are going to see me do: "/me leans over to reach for a whit---"
And then my time is up.
Don' t think I could do anything usefull with 15 seconds of typing.
Better just to keep aiming, fire a warning shot. That way you can' t get killed while typing even though you were aiming at them first.
  • Information