How can we make bandit roleplay enjoyable for everyone?

Engage in any OOC discussion related to Desolation Roleplay!

Moderator: Moderation Access

ViolentViolet
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

The server would be boring without bandits or being allowed to go rogue.
I guess I am most stressed about if I should type or shoot. If it were more clear we'd switch from RP to DM at the same time, it would feel better.

Never know nice to be or how many RP openings to grant to someone. Before long you get told you fell for their tricks, yet giving no chance at all is also not fun or fair.

It would all be less of an issue if the RP were enjoyable and not super short. (only focussed on taking your stuff or freedom)
Taking more time on a robbery, not only expecting the victim to RP the effects of being hit or bound but also allowing the victim some creative freedom to do some RP. So the victim doesn't just have RP what is forced upon them but also gets to have some creative input or some influence on the RP.

Really it is about proportionality and getting some influence on the RP you are partaking in. (Which does not have to mean you get to RP your escape, but at least a failed attempt, or maybe some other Stockholm-syndrome like interaction with the robber/kidnapper.

With my alt I am not trying to build a faction, be ready to respond to emergencies, have to scour the corners of the map to find a boat, try to build a supply for my members and rescue, and so on.
On that alt I guess I have way less of a don't-want-to-lose-too-much-progress (The mirror of play-2-win = play-not-to-lose) mentality.
Because I am not trying to build some faction.
I do see what you mean that it looks like play-2-win from my side. And I do have to think about changing that and definitely ease up on that.

I've been writing a lot about the original question, how to make being robbed by bandits more enjoyable.
Maybe we should also focus on how it can be more enjoyable to be a bandit. Lack of knowledge and understanding can also foster unreasonable displeasure. It might be good, to discuss that as well.

What is it like on that side?
What are the frustrations and pitfalls there?
How do player responses seem to you or affect the bandit's RP?
ViolentViolet

Yesterday three bandits drove up on us(2).

Aimed for a moment out of reflex, saw three people, and jumped on my boat.
They did write 2 chatlines, but instantly opened fire, and did not wait the 20 seconds as Max told me about before.

Code: Select all

[01:01:04] Stranger 15359 shouts: HANDS UP!
[01:01:05] Logan Spenser shouts: Ilyansk Special Forces.
It just felt like KOS DM. As we were being shot at within 5 seconds of me seeing them.

Next, they go on the radio and say I was warned? I had no such warning.
And they say are siding with the JTF, yet the coastguard has not fought alongside the JTF, nor is it a combat force.
The coastguard actually has had a fallout with the JTF and contact has broken down.
They just assume we are on good terms with the JTF and roll with it.
We rescue anyone who is not a security risk, and thus we told JTF we are available for rescues yes, like we have told everyone else who we could find and would listen. But I can't tell them the same, as they KOS.
But they don't care, they just want to DM, they don't care to know, they don't care to RP or type, they just want to DM and don't leave people any time to type.
They just spin their own tale in their head, and since they are with a group and just open fire, they get their way.

After they as good as killed my partner and the boat started smoking, I was no longer going to wait and decided to drive off.

Now tell me again how bandits don't DM and like to create RP opportunities.
contingency
Registered for: 1 year 7 months
Characters: Karl_Schneider

ViolentViolet wrote: September 9th, 2022, 12:05 pm Aimed for a moment out of reflex, saw three people, and jumped on my boat.
They did write 2 chatlines, but instantly opened fire, and did not wait the 20 seconds as Max told me about before.
You /aimed/, then jumped on your boat - it's enough for them to open fire as you are attempting to evade a direct threat.
ViolentViolet wrote: September 9th, 2022, 12:05 pm And they say are siding with the JTF, yet the coastguard has not fought alongside the JTF, nor is it a combat force.
The coastguard actually has had a fallout with the JTF and contact has broken down.
They just assume we are on good terms with the JTF and roll with it.
1) IC issue.
2) Someone from the coast guard snitched on them, which is enough to wage hostility towards the aforementioned faction.
Both the scariest arab & pilot around.
Take no prisoners, nothing to be left but shock.
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 9th, 2022, 3:50 pm You /aimed/, then jumped on your boat - it's enough for them to open fire as you are attempting to evade a direct threat.
I jumped on my boat before they even got out of the car or were a threat.
Once I was on the boat and they pulled out weapons I did not drive off, but froze as the RP etiquette dictates, they opened fire anyway.

You can try to spin it in a RP positive way, but it was DM. Did not get those 20 seconds you mentioned before.
Valox wrote: September 9th, 2022, 3:50 pm Someone from the coast guard snitched on them, which is enough to wage hostility towards the aforementioned faction.
By that logic, if one person from one faction does something wrong, you get to kill the whole faction?
Even if the faction did not order or condone that action? Reads to me as searching for reasons to start DM's.
Sounds like pure DM logic to me.
contingency

ViolentViolet wrote: September 13th, 2022, 11:11 am
In this our now trial mod Max Harrison, who always takes the bandit's side, thinking the rules are there to protect the kidnappers, not the kidnappee.
He also publicly defended the DM & KOS from the bandits, so I wonder how his moderation style, enforcing rules he does not agree with, or does not fully understand. (Which is going to make for some interesting complaints in the future)
TBH, even the dude that committed it was CK'ed. Then for some reason went to DM you all and got banned - it's funny how you dare to bring me into this meanwhile your friend (that was involved in kidnap RP with me) said the exact opposite.

ViolentViolet wrote: September 13th, 2022, 11:11 am Max said: "Why would you not agree at 04:00".
It was 4 AM for me, which is like 6 AM for the other guys - they do have a life and school in the way, don't they? I was just speaking common sense, later I told you to refer to the group members (It all happened when I wasn't part of the Invicta yet)
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:50 pm Image
I asked that because you defended the KOS Dm playstyle very publicly and openly.
Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:50 pm TBH, even the dude that committed it was CK'ed. Then for some reason went to DM you all and got banned
He was not the only DM-er and, the DM-ers were backed by a few people defending their position openly.
It's funny how I PM-ed you abuot that dude still playing under his old char after his CK and you did nothing about it.
You said you would check but did not get back to me. Instead the dude started DM-ing us later.
Yes, let's be honest for a moment, as a crewmember, do you think it was okay to just ignore that guy playing on a CK-ed char?
Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:50 pm it's funny how you dare to bring me into this meanwhile your friend (that was involved in kidnap RP with me) said the exact opposite.
You were publicly defending the KOS DM style, you might not have been doing it yourself, or against Pearly, but you did not disapprove at all.
So you, I dare to bring you into this.
Here you can see that if not for Logan, the RP quality of the other players would have made Pearly /q
It was 4 AM for me, which is like 6 AM for the other guys - they do have a life and school in the way, don't they? I was just speaking common sense, later I told you to refer to the group members (It all happened when I wasn't part of the Invicta yet)
Your common sense was still a violation of the rules.
And was only sensible from your perspective.
From my perspective, it was not at all common sense to be agreed to be locked into an into for 24 hours.
Once again I quote from the rules:

You also conveniently give your argument more strength by ignoring the solution I stated before:
ViolentViolet wrote: September 13th, 2022, 11:11 am But this gang is so full of rulebreakers and trolls they assume me to be the same, and would not trust me with that option.

Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:50 pm it's funny how you dare to bring me into this
It's funny how you keep defending people who break the rules and are still doing it right now.
contingency

ViolentViolet wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:08 pm You were publicly defending the KOS DM style, you might not have been doing it yourself, or against Pearly, but you did not disapprove at all.
So you, I dare to bring you into this.
I literally have "RDM 1 - LSRP 0" as a discord status.. The fact that you don't get irony is ironic in itself.
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 5:13 pm I literally have "RDM 1 - LSRP 0" as a discord status.. The fact that you don't get irony is ironic in itself.
I don't see what your discord status has to do with defending rulebreakers.
Irony requires inflection of the voice, we are on a text-based medium, where we mostly have to guess how things are intended or written.

My point is that someone who publicly defends rulebreakers and tries to explain it's not a rulebreak. Does not belong in the crew.
Regardless of your discord status.
contingency

ViolentViolet wrote: September 13th, 2022, 5:20 pm
Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 5:13 pm I literally have "RDM 1 - LSRP 0" as a discord status.. The fact that you don't get irony is ironic in itself.
I don't see what your discord status has to do with defending rulebreakers.
Irony requires inflection of the voice, we are on a text-based medium, where we mostly have to guess how things are intended or written.

My point is that someone who publicly defends rulebreakers and tries to explain it's not a rulebreak. Does not belong in the crew.
Regardless of your discord status.
Right..
ViolentViolet

Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 5:42 pm Right..
Right, yes that is right. Want to see what you recently wrote perhaps?

Let's give that image you posted some more context
Looks to me like people are talking about the DM, and you are joking about it.

But if this is about defending DM, here are some examples:

Literally defending KOS/DM

More misinterpretation of the rules and defense of KOS/DM

Also, you seem to be of the opinion that when people aim at bandits, that is an excuse for the bandits to fire without RP.
But bandits aim at people all the time. Would not the same logic follow?

In the beginning of this thread, you are explaining my complaints about the KOS/Dm stuff (which someone got banned for), as a play-to-win mentality.
Valox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm In my opinion, I think that every roleplay issue would be solved by simply not having a play-to-win mentality - you're after all playing a game, you shouldn't tryhard items and keep them all on you or poorly manage your inventory and then complain when you get robbed.. I mean, if you'd compare it to real life, you can get jumped in no time if you put your foot on the wrong pavement or way.
//Meanwhile//, it's your full responsibility that you got looted or robbed by a bandit - since you shouldn't stop for anyone that you think is sketchy, only trust yourself or maybe your friends if you're ready to make a blind dive. And if the bandit is alone, you can literally asspull a freakin' desert eagle (the gun that deals the most damage per shot in the entire game) on him and 3-shot him in no time. You just gotta find a way around it and actually think before pulling /smart/ moves, mostly the people that complain are the ones that chose poorly planned interactions and ended up with their stuff robbed which might lead them to think that "bandit roleplay is overpowered".
As the comment above me said that inventory is unfriendly - you really just gotta plan it properly, don't just focus all your storage in one place so if you get caught you're gonna get down bad but actually improvise and use your brain.
From what I think, the bandit roleplay is enjoyable for everyone except play-to-win mindset players - meanwhile, the inventory system and robbery rules are fine. Bandits can be countered if you can use a gun /PROPERLY/ in this game.
Trying to shift the blame to the victim of rulebreakers, calling it play-to-win to complain. Saying my RP is subpar, or that I can't aim, and that is why I lost. While the rules were being violated against me, totally ignoring I'm not trying to kill people if I"m not allowed to do so yet.

Oversimplifying the situation, again defending the KOS/DM.
Valox wrote: September 9th, 2022, 3:50 pm You /aimed/, then jumped on your boat - it's enough for them to open fire as you are attempting to evade a direct threat.
When you lose the argument, you don't reply to the content, but you try to evade it.
Or try to discredit my claims, without refuting them. Just using one word to reply, attempting to avoid the content, by implying my statement is false in your opinion.
Valox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 5:42 pm Right..
  • Information